Future of Four-Thirds

Started Jan 21, 2013 | Questions thread
chasfox
Regular MemberPosts: 413
Like?
Re: Four-Thirds sensor types for next camera
In reply to dave gaines, Jan 22, 2013

dave gaines wrote:

Apparently the E-620, E-30 and E-5 all have the same 12.3 MP Live MOS sensor. When Olympus created the E-5 they upgraded the E-3 to put the better sensor that was already in the E-30 and E-620 and to reduce the AA filter. I think it's a fine sensor.

Dave I have to disagree with you here from my experience of the E620 after using the E3, L1, E330 and E1 and compared to my subsequently acquired GH2

I personally think that the failure of 4/3 can be directly attributable to the very poor Panasonic 12mp sensor especially with its below average DR and very high read noise which quickly becomes apparent when trying to lift shadows even at base ISO.  The E5 is a good camera despite its sensor not because of it, whilst cameras such as the K5 and D7000 are good cameras because of the superb Sony 16mp sensor they use,.

Olympus worked wonders in its JPEG processing in trying to cover the  many shortfalls of the 12mp sensor in the E5 and its M4/3 range including the use of a lighter AA in the E5 but it still delivered IQ well short of its price tag.  The OMD EM5 would not have been the success it is without the new sony sensor.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow