Wide Angle Lenses for D5100

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
dliptak0204
New MemberPosts: 2Gear list
Like?
Re: Wide Angle Lenses for D5100
In reply to schaf, Jan 22, 2013

Thank you very much for your help, Schaff! I’m probably going to end up with the Tokina 12-24mm. I tried out the Tamron 10-24mm ƒ/3.5 wide angle lens at my local camera shop and was unimpressed. It’s a great lens on paper, but I tried it out and the edges were ridiculously soft even at its ƒ/8 sweet spot. Chromatic aberration was everywhere. Sharpness isn’t everything and I’m not looking to find the sharpest wide angle ever made, but the Tamron was just completely unacceptable, especially at 10mm. The Tokina has much much better reviews and it’s the same price as the Tamron. I’d gladly give up a third stop of light and two millimeters of view for a better quality lens. The Tamron doesn’t have a constant aperture and the Tokina does so I suppose I’m not really giving up much there. Thanks again for your help! I’ll probably by mine off of Adorama or BH Photo Video. It’s $449.00 both places.

dliptak0204's gear list:dliptak0204's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow