Flash photography - freeze action on trampoline?

Started Jan 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MikeNannie
Regular MemberPosts: 348Gear list
Like?
Flash photography - freeze action on trampoline?
Jan 22, 2013

I've been asked to do a photo shoot for a school for a charity auction. They would like photos of kids jumping on a 3 foot trampoline to use in a banner that will be auctioned off at the school fundraising charity event in March.

I've never had much success with flash photography, not sure why. TTL never gives me consistent results. For this shoot, the kids will be jumping indoors, since it's 10 degrees outside. I'm not sure yet of the location, but I think it's in the cafeteria opposite a wall of windows. The windows face west, so I should be getting some good light in the afternoon when I'm scheduled to do the shoot.  I'll shoot the images, then give them to the school to use for the creation of this banner.

My setup is an a580 and a Minolta 5600HS flash. I also have an umbrella and a light stand. I've asked that we put a white sheet on the wall behind the kids to keep the background clean so that I can cut the kids out of the images in Photoshop.  My plan is to place the kids a few feet from the wall to help reduce any shadows from the flash. I want to place the flash on the stand, shoot through the umbrella to soften the light, and place the flash stand off to one side, about 45 degrees to my left or right. I may also need to put a white sheet over the window if the light from the sun is too strong / direct.

My question is how can I be sure to freeze the jumpers without getting any blur?

Has anyone done anything like this before?

Suggestions on settings?

I'm scheduled to do this tomorrow afternoon (found out yesterday).

thanks

Mike

MikeNannie's gear list:MikeNannie's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
Sony SLT-A58
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow