Epson 2000 vs 3000 Need to replace my R1800

Started Jan 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
NeroMetalliko
Regular MemberPosts: 220
Like?
Re: Epson 2000 vs 3000 Need to replace my R1800
In reply to Terry, Jan 22, 2013

Terry wrote:

I am a bit lost on the differences between these two, any help?? I print only color, NO B&W.

I am reading the specs. of both but can seem to "get it"

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Terry

Hello,

I have a R3000,

the big difference between the two printers is the ink type (dye vs pigment), this means different gamut extension and different lightfastness.

So, the main difference is related to what kind of photo you print and what kind of paper you use.

R3000 color images are great but I think that probably for really colorful pictures (like sunsets...) maybe the dye inks prints of the R2000 could be even more convincing.

For normal color photo (pastel tones and skin tones) they could be considered on par, I think.

For B&W images the R3000 is superior (but you clearly told you are not interested in B&W).

For photo paper the presence of the GO could be an additional bonus for the R2000 (I have to spray my R3000 prints to get a perfect even glossiness).

For matte paper the advantage goes to the R3000 in my opinion: on matte papers I never print really colorful images, but light color tones and B&W. In addition the vast majority of top fine art papers are designed to work with pigment inks so you ave a great range of surfaces to choose.

The bottom line is that if you print mainly color images on photo papers the R2000 probably will serve you better from a IQ point of view.

I rarely print saturated colorful images, I like B&W and sweet tones, I don't like glossy paper at all (I use baryta type or matte papers) so I'm better served by the R3000 from this point of view.

I don't want to enter in the price debate of 3rd party inks vs OEM, you can see a lot of info in the thread and figure it out by yourself.

Other than price you have to keep in account the print durability in the time, I don't know the 3rd party inks lightfastness, but for OEM pigment inks you can have a clear picture looking to Aaardeneburg and WIR tests. I use OEM inks.

I have heard that the latest generation of dye inks are better performing, but the pigment inks are probably still superior.

Color images are more effected to this issue than B&W so choosing between the ink type (i.e. the printer) is a compromise betweeen all the listed aspects. For me lightfastness is really important so at the end of the line my choice was for the R3000.

There is not a perfect solution, you have to choose the best compromise you can accept based on your personal requirements.

I hope this will help.

Ciao

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow