How Nikon colors changed over the years.

Started Jan 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
MTT
MTT
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,951
Like?
olyflyer, WB test.
In reply to olyflyer, Jan 22, 2013

I was curious to see how NX2 would handle WB from the same image taken with 9 different WB settings. Starting from 2500K and ended up at 10,000K. As I expected correcting WB in NX2 using the Marquee Sample Tool on the same gray patch, did give me different numbers, but the over all results was the same, color was even on all the images. So I don't see how using auto or manual WB on my cameras and correcting WB in NX2 was incorrect testing. Want to see the results I be glad to post them for you.

olyflyer wrote:

MTT wrote:

Except WB on my D300s and the time everything was the same. I over looked that, thought it was on auto. But should not make a difference since I shot RAW and was changed in NX2. Lighting should be good enough, it was even and consistent. Two incandescent bulbs was used [same bulbs I use to light the room everyday] with a diffuser covering the bulbs. Light fixture was 2.5 ft higher and 4 ft back from the CC card. Same lens was used on all cameras and all other settings "were" the same. Some act like I used different settings on all my images. If there's something I'm missing please point it out. Some say is was not conducted correctly, besides WB on one camera which was changed anyway, how else would you do it?

And yes it's noticeable in real life photography, especially on skin tones. No so much between the D300’s, with the D70 being the most noticeable.

The WB is extremely important for color and changing in CNX may not give you the same results. ANyway, testing colors using AWB is even worse than having the wrong WB set and correct later at PP. AWB is just a wild guess, some times right some times wrong, but not always consistent and is nowhere near as accurate as fixed WB, so if you redo this test then set the WB to manual and don't change in CNX, use the same Picture control mode on all cameras and do the test in daylight or use high quality daylight bulbs, or indirect flash. If you use flash then use the same flash on all cameras, not the pop-up flash.

-- hide signature --

http://mtt.smugmug.com/photos/245519815-O.gif This is me Post Processing. If only I can get it right the first time! Full time auto tech, part time photographer. Mark Thompson/MTT Louisville, KY. USA Why do you have to 'put your two cents in'.. but it's only a 'penny for your thoughts'? Where's that extra penny going to? http://markthompsonphotos.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Ok,New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow