Minolta 85mm f/1.4 - just curious....

Started Jan 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
HK photographer
Regular MemberPosts: 458
Like?
Re: Minolta 85mm f/1.4 - number of contact points
In reply to Bart7D, Jan 22, 2013

Bart7D wrote:

I happen to possess this great lens in a rare condition (that optically doesn't matter at all): it doesn't have the gold line/ring that is the standard 'signature' (together with the 'G') of this prime lens.

Anyone else here who has the same thing? I know just one other person who owns one.

Just curious! (The lens is a gem!)

Bart

I have a non-D (but G) version. 5 contact points vs 7 (or 8?) that you have. 5 points would not give you benefit of "D", and D version should be better "electronically" - such as focusing speed (and less noisy)  but not optcally. LE supposed is better optically but very very expensive (probably at least 3 times more expensive) and very rare. It is a collectors' item now.

A great typical minolta lens, I agree. Great color and bokeh but chromatic aberration when aperture bigger than F4-5.6 in prone situation is again very typical of older Minolta lens , i.e. rather severe. CZ 85/1.4 is better on 2 aspects optically -  sharper and less severe CA. So, these Minolta versions' price have basically remained the same in the last few years since people can get a CZ if price goes up. However, Minolta's price did go up when Sony increased the price of current lens. Iprefer Minolta than CZ since it is much less bulky and lighter.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow