slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,665Gear list
Like?
Re: Thanks for all the replies and suggestions
In reply to Anders W, Jan 22, 2013

Anders W wrote:

slimandy wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Yes, they test under lab conditions, just as Photozone.

To be honest I'm not a fan of Photozone either but I quoted them because I can't find reviews from professional photographers they way I can with Nikon gear. At least some of their samples are real world pictures and not just test charts and studio still lifes.

I have no trouble making sense of test charts, studio still lifes, or MTF values. Just a matter of learning how one set of observations translates into another. The same is true with respect to DxO figures about sensor performance. I have no trouble making sense of those either since I have spent the time required to see how they translate into aspects of image quality that my eyes can see.

I have no problem at all understanding and interpreting the charts so I do look at the lab results, but they are not what I will shoot in real life so they only tell part of the story.

The trouble with looking at "real world pictures" is that those will never allow you to directly compare two lenses to one another unless they happen to be taken under identical conditions such as those in Amin Sabet's test of the 7-14 versus the 9-18 that Optical1 linked to here.

For obvious reasons, the lens test sites would have difficulties accomplishing directly comparable sample shots outside the studio inasmuch as this would imply that they would have to shoot new "real world pictures" of all lenses already tested for every new lens they test.

If a highly skilled photographer whose reviews I trust were to use a lens extensively and write his review on it that is the most useful info I could get. I do not need to pixel peep with identical shots side by side in order to form an opinion.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow