If there is a TG-1 there must be a TG-2

Started Aug 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
mrmeng
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?
Tough TG-2 Review
In reply to Ken G., Jan 22, 2013

Ken G. wrote:

WHAT?! Got your TG-2?? Where do you live? And be sure to post your impressions here please. Have you also shot with the TG-1, and if so, how do they compare IQ-wise?

-- hide signature --

Camera gear in profile.
Ken G.
http://www.pbase.com/kgilbertsen/

I am from Singapore, Olympus just launch this in Asia market in Jan 2013. I decided to get a compact cam for my sport activity as I do weekly marathon training with my running frens. Tough TG-2 seem to be the top in the market for rugged camera, so i got it! But was not impressed with the image quality. Hmmm.... I used many cam before like simple compact came like Casio and Samsung, prosumer compact like Lumix LX5, MFT like Lumix GX1 and OMD and DSLR Pentax K-5IIs.

This TG-2 if you are going for image quality and high image resolution please do not obtain this cam as its image quality is very close to high end mobile phone photo standard maybe a little better. Dont be like me i am someone who go for image quality and this camera do not meet my standard.

When image is blown to 100% view it did not impressed me as it not as sharp as all those compact camera I had used before. A simple less than S$200 Samsung or Casio compact camera gives me better sharpness and resolution and I paid nearly three times as much for TG-2 that does not even meet the above basic camera image standard.

Consolation is that if you want better images quality from TG-2 please take your photo under bright sunny day, day shots are OK but i guess a good mobile phone cam can produce that as well. And  maintain your TG-2 at ISO 100, once ISO goes above 400 its a goner once you view at 100% (full size) image resolution drop, but if you just wanna post your image online or have a 4R prints its still OK.

Conclusion:

Things i like about TG-2 is its Super Macro mode, its good as able to macro at 1cm. HDR mode really good for hand held night shots, nice Magic mode with useful effects. Design of the cam are attractive, with double locks to ensure waterproofing and dust proofness. Auto focus are relatively fast no complaint on that. Video in HD 1080p standard is acceptable too.

Things I dont like will be its image sharpness and resolution, colour of the images are pretty mute, but the LCD of the camera displayed overly saturated colours of the taken images. And the LCD display overly warm colour.

The following are my test shots of Olympus Tough TG-2

original size 12MP, photos after post processed (increased exposure, saturation and sharpen)

original size 12MP, photos after post processed (increased exposure, saturation and sharpen)

image size reduced by 50%  and photos after post processed (increased exposure, saturation and sharpen) Macro shot

image size reduced by 50%  and photos after post processed (increased exposure, saturation and sharpen) Super macro mode

image size reduced by 50%  and photos after post processed (increased exposure, saturation and sharpen)

image size reduced by 50%  and photos after post processed (increased exposure, saturation and sharpen)

Super Macro Mode image size reduced by 50%  and photos after post processed (increased exposure)

MyWorks: http://mengchanphotography.wordpress.com/

mrmeng's gear list:mrmeng's gear list
Ricoh GR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow