For a safari which lens??

Started Jan 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
sjprintz
Regular MemberPosts: 382Gear list
Like?
Re: For a safari which lens??
In reply to mosswings, Jan 22, 2013

Having been on safari in Tanzania, I can offer you the following information:

1. Dust is an issue so changing lenses is not something you want to do too often.

2.  The animals are more active at dawn and dusk so a fast lens is very helpful.

3. You will be in a jeep so weight is not a big issue; however, if you travel by puddle jumpers around, they may have weight limits.

With that said, when I was there, I used my 70-200mm f2.8 with a 1.7tc almost the whole time.  I did use the lens without the TC, but the extra reach was needed.  There were many times I wanted more reach.  Also, I was using a DX camera.

If money is not an issue, I would buy or rent the 200-400mm Nikon zoom. It's fast and pro quality and will give you some range.  In addition, buy a TC for it when you need extra reach.  A wide angle is nice to bring, but I would not expect that you would use it much.  The best shots are of the wildlife and you will get close, but its great to have the extra reach and speed.

SJP

sjprintz's gear list:sjprintz's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow