D800 Orange Burn: Little Help, Please?

Started Jan 21, 2013 | Questions thread
Peter Jonas
Senior MemberPosts: 1,671
Like?
Re: Shooting JPGs? Try Neutral Picture Control.
In reply to Scott McGrath, Jan 22, 2013

Scott McGrath wrote:

I am the Production Manager of a portrait studio and my photographer--a 24-year veteran--bought a D800 last summer, which he has been using almost exclusively since. It's an amazing machine but a lot of shots have been coming out of the camera with what we have started to call Orange Burn: highlights will blow out to yellow, skin tones will turn orange and shadows will take on a burnt grey or blue color. An example:

This will happen with different skin types--European, East Indian, and so on--regardless of location--indoor or outdoor--or subject's distance from various kinds of lights--location radio slave or soft box. The issue is not one of white balance, either.

Stopping down has not had a substantive effect, nor has changing D-lighting settings.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, how can we correct it? Any suggestions?

Thanks, all.

If you are not shooting JPGs this is not going to help you much. But if you do, you could try this:

With the D7000 I sometimes get a similar orange cast if I use Standard picture control. Therefore, if people are my subjects, I use Neutral with Sharpening +6 and Saturation +1.

Your milage may vary. You can experiment a little with various picture control settings. If you search these Nikon forums (including the DX and DX Pro), you will find plenty of discussions about getting your skin colours right.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Peter Jonas

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow