Which Lens?

Started Jan 21, 2013 | Questions thread
hedwards
Regular MemberPosts: 267
Like?
Re: Which Lens?
In reply to sustownsend, Jan 22, 2013

I can't comment on the Sigma. I do however own the Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS Mk I and it's arguably the best lens that Canon has ever released. You're going to need IS on a lens like that, unless you're constantly working off a tripod.

Mk I versus MK II is kind of a toughie. The Mk II is slightly better in some ways, but I'm not sure it's good enough to justify spending the extra money on.

The main problem with the Sigma is that you may need to get it rechipped in the future. I've heard rumors about a USB lens mount that would allow you to update the lens firmware at home, but I don't think that's been released. And, anyways, I wouldn't bother until/unless you need it.

But, anyways, as a proud owner of one of the lenses in question, I love it. The main problem with it is that it's a brick and you'll have to make sure you're in good shape if you want to hand hold it. And if you're going to use a tripod or monopod, you're going to need a proper gimbal head.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow