Started Jan 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
ohcello
Senior MemberPosts: 1,504Gear list
Like?
Re: Better corner and borders on DX
In reply to marike6, Jan 22, 2013

marike6 wrote:

JimPearce wrote:

The 70-300 is no resolution champ at 300mm. To my eye it works much better on FX than DX.

Any FX lens will perform better on a DX body. A FF lens on an APS-C sensor camera is only using the center portion of the lens so you'll get a significantly more even performance with a FF lens on a DX body. That is why my 70-200 f4 VR is sharp right to the edge of the frame (even at larger apertures) when I shoot with the D800 in DX mode, whereas in FX mode, I usually stop it down to at least f5.6 to get totally sharp border and corners.

On Photozone, look at any FX lens that they have tested on FX and DX bodies, and in general you will see higher MTF values in the center and in the corners.

That is true for corner performance, but not for center performance in most cases, where the FX will do better with 'lesser' glass in the center all other things being equal.

ohcello's gear list:ohcello's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow