x100 Portrait shots, yes or no? I say yes

Started Jan 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: x100 Portrait shots, yes or no? I say yes
In reply to ksgant, Jan 22, 2013

ksgant wrote:

35mm aspect ratio is a wonderful portrait lens. I recently saw a live shoot by Sue Bryce, one of the leading women's portrait photographers working, where she used nothing but her 35mm on her 5D Mark III.

Her main lens that she used for years was the 24-105mm f/4.0 kit lens, but she said she usually stayed around 35-50mm on it, and with the 35mm f/1.4, she stays around f/2.8. And her shots look wonderful...as do yours here.

Yes, Sue Bryce is a superb photographer, that is for sure.  Of course, it doesn't hurt that she's working with some of the most beautiful models in the world, but without he skill, I certain the images wouldn't look anywhere near as good as they do.

It's interesting that she would use that f4 lens, but then most studio photographers shoot at smaller apertures anyway to make sure there is enough DOF to get both of the model's eyes in focus.

So I say yes too!

I say yes as well, at least for environmental portraits like the ones the OP posted. I really like how sharp the eyes are in the first image.  The Fujinon 23 f2 is an excellent lens after all.  Good stuff.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow