Wonderfully sharp video (and great sound) from a Sony a99.

Started Jan 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
BMWX5
Senior MemberPosts: 4,142Gear list
Like?
Re: Wonderfully sharp video (and great sound) from a Sony a99.
In reply to Kirk Tuck, Jan 22, 2013

Kirk Tuck wrote:

I spent hours and hours today shooting behind the scenes video for Zachary Scott Theater. As part of the project we did three on camera interviews. I used the Sony a99 on manual video. ISO 200, f4.5 at 1/50th with a 70-200mm f2.8 G series lens mounted on a Manfrotto Fluid Head Tripod on a large set of Manfrotto legs. I set the camera at 1080p 24p at 24M (FX). We used a Sennhesier wireless lavalier microphone. I focused at 10x in a photo mode, switched the lens to manual and then switched to the video mode and used focus peaking if necessary. The light was a big wall of windows bringing in non direct light. I did a custom WB with a Lastolite Gray target.

I had been following the controversy on the web about the a99 being not very sharp and the allegations didn't match my previous experiences but this is the first time I really paid attention to all the set up details and tried to do every step by the numbers, instead of just winging it.

I previously shot with a Canon 5D mk2 and the interview footage I got today is without a doubt much, much sharper and better.

I'm meeting with the client tomorrow and I'll ask permission to post a 20 second clip of one of the interviews on Vimeo so I can post a link here. I don't understand how people are getting bad footage from the camera. It's pretty amazing.

But I guess there could be variation in early delivered cameras or something. Not seeing it in my a99.

-- hide signature --

Austin based advertising and portrait photographer, and author of the book series, Minimalist Lighting, and the books: Commercial Photographers Handbook, Photographic Lighting Equipment, and, LED Lighting for Digital Photographers. www.kirktuck.com

Great to hear about the sharpness of the video using this camera. Looking forward to see your 20 second video unlike some here testing it to take videos of their garage or windows!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow