Fuji S2, S3 or S5 PRO?? Assistance Needed!

Started Jan 18, 2013 | Questions thread
Mark Carr
Senior MemberPosts: 2,037
Like?
Bob - Re: Hi, Mark
In reply to Bobtheamateur, Jan 21, 2013

Bobtheamateur wrote:

Mark Carr wrote:

Hi LaFonte,

Well, I would have to disagree with your post. Yes, the "S" cams are old, but old does not necessarily mean out of date or inadequate. There are lots of old things that still work perfectly well, just look at lenses for example. In spite of all the technological advances over the last 20+ years some of Nikon's old AI/AIS lenses still perform as well or better than their successors. The 105mm 2.5 AIS, 55mm 3.5 AI, 75-150mm 3.5 E AIS, 200mm f4 AIS, 50mm 1.8 AIS, (just to name a few), are all stellar lenses even by today's standards. There's no doubt that there have been improvements to digital SLR's since the "S' cams appeared, but if your shooting style doesn't depend on those advancements I wonder if the newer cams offer any more than a 5-8 year old "S" cam. I still see lots of threads of people using newer Nikon bodies asking for guidance in how to produce Fuji colors with their D700/800, etc. So, in spite of all the improvements the newer cams are still lacking in many respects. The improvements in RAW processing software also helps mitigate some of the shortcomings so often associated with Fuji cams, RPP comes to mind.

I have never shot with anything other than a Fuji DSLR so I can't speak from experience, but I'm inclined to think that for most shooters the "S" cams are still all one needs. How many need to print 20" x 30" prints? How many regularly photograph fast action sports? Probably not many. Unbridled consumerism has coerced many into thinking that they have to have the newest model.

I'd like to see somebody with both a Nikon D700/800 and Fuji S5 post similar pictures taken in both jpeg and RAW formats.

Kind regards,

Mark

These are very good remarks. To answer your last question as an owner of both those bodies (I may go broke one day ) I use the D700 in very low light situations and the D800 in detail-critical situations. That is not to say the S5 could do both. Indeed take a look at this forum over the years. I just happen to be a tech-junkie and enjoy the challenge.

Hope you are doing well, Mark.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Things are good, can't complain. Thanks for asking. With all the gear you have, what type of bag (suitcase) do you travel with, a Samsonite:). I've never traveled with more than one body, so my bag has mostly lenses. Can't imagine having to carry around another body, though the "X" cams look quite portable when compared to DSLR's.

I have no doubt that there are times when the D700/800 will outperform an "S" cam, but the "S" cams still produce wonderful files and shouldn't be overlooked by anybody. A lot of their shortcomings are perceived and not something that will significantly effect the final output.  All I can say is that I have never had any interest in purchasing another manufacturer's DSLR, I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a used S5 soon, might even send it back to Fuji to have a new sensor installed. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm still using it 4-5 years down the road.

Kind regards,

Mark

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow