primeshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,912
Like?
Re: D800 focus with 1.4 prime lenses is very variable and inaccurate
In reply to michaeladawson, Jan 21, 2013

michaeladawson wrote:

primeshooter wrote:

Svetoslav Popov wrote:

Not my discovery, i heard it from others too. With the assumption that this "phenomenon" is new for Nikon, my theory would be, that they updated the hardware of the AF unit for better low light sensitivity, but with a sneaky sideeffect: (more) variability in color temperature response.

Yeah me too. I don't really care, I just want them to issue a firmware fix so I can use the 1.4 apertures on my lenses on faces!

I forget.... Do you have the same "directional" error in your f/1.4 photos? In other words, do you always get front focusing? Or is it all over the place?

This is important because the tungsten light focus errors I remember reading about here are consistent and have to do with a different AF fine tune value under tungsten light.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

Hi Mike, it's inconsistent. One time it'll focus right, bang on and i'll go "wow". Next will be front, then it'll be back focused. No knowing what it will do. Sometimes I stand and fire off 10 shots with the centre point right on someones face at f/1.4. 3 of them will be in acceptable focus. It is doing my head in! If it was my crappy technique, I could fix that with practice. I can't fix this!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow