Fuji S2, S3 or S5 PRO?? Assistance Needed!

Started Jan 18, 2013 | Questions thread
Bernie Ess
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,899Gear list
Like?
I have S3pro - S5pro - X-E1
In reply to mistermejia, Jan 21, 2013

So you have a lot of opinions here, it finally depends whether you have an eye for that very special file look of the S3/S5 files. Those are very smooth files with huge latitude (DR), a film like highlight rolloff. Resolution is not high by today's standards, but I have printed them to 16x22" with good success. Also files from the old FUji DSLRs print large very well and have an impact that my Canon (5d) files are missing.

Operation of the S3pro is slow by all means, but you can generally use JPEGs for pretty much everything. I have also found that in post processing the S3/S5 files just work very well. Those files are like raw diamonds, and you can work on them and make them shine. If you look for speed and versatility, go look somewhere else, for that "film- like" qualities a S3pro for 200 bucks is a real treasure.It also gives terrifffic skin tones out of the camera, better than the S5pro.

The AF of the new X-E1 is less fast and reliable than the one in the S3pro, in order to get wide DR (400%) you have to shoot ISO800 with the new X- cameras, with the S3/S5pro you can shoot ISO100 and get super clean (CCD sensor) files with huge latitude.

Here is a gallery with London pics, the first rows (till the Battersea Power station shots) are S3pro, the rest is Nex-5N.

https://plus.google.com/photos/108832207752073724720/albums/5836009706980603697?authkey=CLbn_YLNu5aeWw

You have to decide, but the S3pro was very special. It is also one of the nicest to hold DSLRs I have had. Better than the heavier S5pro.

Cheers

Bernie

-- hide signature --

'All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice.' (Elliot Erwitt)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow