D800 focus with 1.4 prime lenses is very variable and inaccurate

Started Jan 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
primeshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,937
Like?
Re: D800 focus with 1.4 prime lenses is very variable and inaccurate
In reply to Svetoslav Popov, Jan 21, 2013

Svetoslav Popov wrote:

Interestingly, no one here mentions the D800's inherent problem to focus consistently in different light (-temperatures). So maybe the problem of many people who are complaining is that they adjusted their prime lenses at one light, and use them at another light temperature.

I'll give an example. My freshly acquired 50/1.4G has outed itself as quite the diva. Aside from having more problems with the left/righmost AF points than my 85/1.8G, it needs quite different AF fine tune values for different light sources. And this delta is bigger than with the 85mm. Hmmm...

Brace yourself: For daylight, LED-light and CFL-light it needs +6. But for everything tungsten it needs +12! If i'm coming from a concert shooting with LED stagelights and forget to readjust AF-fine-tune in "MyMenu", at home with a tungsten light i get quite a front focus!*

I would like to hear from others about similar experiences, maybe with other camera bodies too. And i would like the OP to try adjusting for daylight, and then shoot in daylight, maybe it will help.

Of course, smallinaccuracies in PDAF are a fact of life for now, especially for 36MPx, so we'll have to use workarounds. Shoot moar!

*My next little "project" is to make stickers for every lens with values for different light sources.

You could be onto something. I have found that with AF fine tune off, that in blue-ish light it focuses MUCH better than orange lighting situations.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow