Question about Nikon warranty transfer between owners

Started Jan 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,223Gear list
Like?
Re: Customer friendly terms
In reply to losangeles, Jan 21, 2013

losangeles wrote:

I'm just wondering if the warranty is so restrictive, do people ever sell Nikon cameras or are they basically tied to the original owner?

Specifically, as a result of this warranty issue am I guaranteed to have difficulties finding a buyer for my unopened brand new Nikon kit, even though I'm selling it for $600 below Amazon price?

The D600 has gained such a reputation for having an oily/dusty sensor that many people are going to naturally assume you are selling the camera because it has that problem. On the other hand, these cameras are still in high demand - and that is a problem users can generally deal with themselves by cleaning - and one that should diminish and eventually solve itself with use. If you say you'll accept a return if the camera is damaged when the purchaser opens the box, and that you'll give them the original receipt, I think you should be able to find a buyer. The trouble is that you are in the dark yourself about the condition of the camera, and any problems it might have, because you have never opened the box and tried it.

If you really can't find a buyer and can't return the camera, you could always sell or trade it in to a dealer. Particularly if you are buying another camera from them, you might get a decent price. The larger dealers usually offer their own warranties on used equipment, so the person who purchased it from them would be covered.

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow