The Truth about D800 Auto Focus - fair at best

Started Jan 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,961Gear list
Like?
Re: The Truth about D800 Auto Focus - fair at best
In reply to primeshooter, Jan 21, 2013

My friends and I have done a ton of tests and tried every setting change possible.

I've been told that the D800 AF Module is a somewhat reworked version of what's in the D700, but the D800 cannot match the D700's AF prowess.

The 5DIII AF is so good you almost have to work to make it miss! Clearly superior, not "close" as some reviews stated. The issue here is that the D800 "tests" great and the AF seems fine until you press it into action at a wedding or other event at which point it's not much better than my recently sold 5DII.

AF is by no means bad, but you really have to educate yourself on where it will be weak and compensate. It's simply not going to tolerate less in those cases and this does add up to missed shots. I have NOTHING close to the confidence I have with a D700 or 5DIII.

This has nothing at all to do with the AF settings. It occurs under ALL setting combinations and on every D800 I've seen/used.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
X2New
D600New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow