Question about Nikon warranty transfer between owners

Started Jan 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,430Gear list
Like?
Re: Customer friendly terms
In reply to losangeles, Jan 21, 2013

losangeles wrote:

I'm just wondering if the warranty is so restrictive, do people ever sell Nikon cameras or are they basically tied to the original owner?

Specifically, as a result of this warranty issue am I guaranteed to have difficulties finding a buyer for my unopened brand new Nikon kit, even though I'm selling it for $600 below Amazon price?

You will have no trouble selling the camera.

Here's something about the warranty that I have not seen anyone post in this thread.  Most of the time Nikon USA service honors the warranty.  All they want to see is the original receipt.  I don't have personal experience with this, but being a member of this forum for 10 years I have seen numbers of posts on this same topic and rarely, if ever, have I seen a post where service was denied to a second owner.

However, Nikon service seems to be changing (for the worse).  Reports of people being denied service for impact damage seems to be the "new norm" and is something you never saw 5 years ago.  So who knows, Nikon may start denying service to second owners as per the strict terms of the warranty.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow