Started Jan 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,223Gear list
Like?
Re: Warning from moderator - read this before posting
In reply to TOF guy, Jan 21, 2013

TOF guy wrote:

This is what the warranty (US) states:

This warranty extends to the original consumer purchaser only and is not assignable or transferable.

Therefore the warranty is void the moment the camera is sold. This is something very important to know if you buy used Nikon equipment: you won't have any manufacturer warranty with it.

I wonder, how can a manufacturer enforce terms of a "shrink wrapped" licence or warranty which a purchaser can only read after purchase and after opening the box?

The warranty terms can be read in the link I've posted. Nikon's support can be contacted before purchase to enquire about the terms of the warranty. The question may be asked to the seller. Or a forum ! Etc. Most warranties are included within a box and cannot be read w/o opening the box. In fact I can't remember of a warranty printed on the box or a piece of paper attached to a box forany product I've bought. Yet all warranties have restrictions such as: not applicable to incidental damage, period covered by warranty, transferable or not, etc. Not being able to access the warranty information before opening the box does not preclude the warranty terms to apply.

The purchaser has no way of agreeing to such terms at the time of purchase, and normally cannot know about them until he actually opens the package and reads them.

You certainly to have to go a bit out of your way (do a web search, a call etc.) if that's important to you.

Stating a normal warranty on an unused product cannot be transferred to a third party sounds pretty invidious, and I wonder how could the purchaser have normally read and nominally agreed to those terms if he hasn't yet opened the box? (snip)

At least it might provide some sort of grounds for returning a product for a refund, even after a period of time.

Seems reasonable to me. It's a bit like software. You have to open the box to find the license terms. You're supposed to do that first if it matters to you. You are not to open the pouch containing the software if you disagree with the terms. And you are entitled to a full refund if you don't agree. But are we sure that there is no such process in place, either by law or from the seller or manufacturer ? Maybe you are allowed to open the box, read the warranty w/o disturbing the rest of the contents in the box (and certainly not unwrap the camera / lens) and if you don't agree you are entitled for a full refund.

The legal status of "shrink wrap" contracts in the US does seem to be unclear in law:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrink_wrap_contract

http://www.informationweek.com/shrinkwrap-licenses-an-epidemic-of-lawsu/197003052

http://ijlit.oxfordjournals.org/content/4/2/77.abstract

However, to be on the safe side, customers should probably start requesting or demanding transferability of the guarantee or warranty to cover situations like this - especially since cameras are now frequently re-sold, or may be given as gifts. If manufacturers truly believe their product is of quality craftsmanship and durable, you'd think they'd be happy to oblige.

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow