D800 focus with 1.4 prime lenses is very variable and inaccurate

Started Jan 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
primeshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,911
Like?
Re: I'm not surprised.
In reply to michaeladawson, Jan 21, 2013

michaeladawson wrote:

One thing I'm continuously puzzled by in your posts is the reference to focusing at f/1.4. As far as I am aware the cameras always focus "wide open" no matter what your chosen aperture. And wide open means a max aperture of 2.8 for the focusing system (when using fast lenses of 2.8 or faster). So whether you are shooting at f/1.4 or f/8 the lens is always open at f/1.4 during focus acquisition and the AF system is operating at f/2.8.

So this may be a minor point but it would be more accurate to suggest that the AF system of the D800 results in variable focus. No matter the aperture one is shooting at. Shooting at f/1.4 only allows this variability to be more evident to the photographer due to the extreme shallow DoF.

You probably are well aware of this and this post is not intended for you, but I wanted to raise this point for any novices out there who may get the wrong impression.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

Mike, all I am meaning is when you are shooting wide open, 1.4 and taking the picture with that aperture, thanks for raising it though I'm sure many will appreciate your advice.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow