GH-3 Viewfinder "issue" - product of clueless

Started Jan 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
Francis Carver
Senior MemberPosts: 1,093
Like?
Re: Do you like it overall? Re: GH-3 Viewfinder "issue" - product of clueless
In reply to Pete Berry, Jan 21, 2013

Pete Berry wrote:

The GH3 EFV's 4/3 format view is 25% smaller in each dimension than GH1&2's, being a crop of it's native 16/9 EVF format rather than 16/9 being a crop of the 4/3 as in the previous. And being smaller, less detail seen. But it's still significantly larger than the OMD's, which apppears to me about the size of an entry level crop DSLR's OVF - and the GH1-2 like a FF's!

The color problem in mine with no true reds, thus blue purples/violets, is not correctable in the limited color controls. Fortunately the color response of the sensor is great, and the EVF limitations pretty much vanish in usage. Mine - delivered Xmas day - shows no smearing or distortion, which would have been a killer problem.

Pete

Okay, both the EVF and the screen on the rear are OLED technology instead of LCD, correct? That is probably the root cause of the problem.

Funny thing is, OLED displays are actually marketed as having a far superior color spectrum compared to LCDs, particularly when it comes to reds and skin tones. Obviously, that is not the case. Also, since OLED displays are still extremely pricey, perhaps it would have been better for Panasonic to use LCDs instead of OLEDs.

And the OLEDs in the Panasonic GH3 are probably not the same OLEDs that Sony is using in some of their Alpha DSLT cameras.

Incidentally, how do you compare the performance of the GH3's OLED screen to its OLED EVF? The same, better, or worse?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow