SLT-A57 or lens Wide angle focusing (issue?)

Started Jan 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
Chris Malcolm
Contributing MemberPosts: 679Gear list
Like?
Re: SLT-A57 or lens Wide angle focusing (issue?)
In reply to Ben_Synthetic, Jan 21, 2013

Generally speaking AF has problems with wider angles of view, some camera models more than others.How wide the problems start depends on the camera model.The best focus will always come from the central AF sensor, so I hope that's the one you were using in your tests.

My own rule of thumb is to start checking the AF at around 20mm. The smaller the focal length the worse the problems. By 18mm my Sony A350 and A550 were right off, seriously front focusing. Whereas my A77 seems to manage good AF pretty well down to at least 14mm.

Which is why focusing problems are so often reported for wide angle lenses. AF isn't perfect. That's why the most expensive models with the latest best AF also have the most sophisticated methods for adjusting AF and for doing manual focus.

So I suspect there's nothing wrong with your camera. You're just discovering one of its inherent limitations.

-- hide signature --

Chris Malcolm

Chris Malcolm's gear list:Chris Malcolm's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony 500mm F8 Reflex +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow