50% Gray in RGB, Lab ang Gray-gamma 2.2: why are different?

Started Jan 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
technoid
Senior MemberPosts: 1,295
Like?
Re: Here's Why
In reply to NeroMetalliko, Jan 21, 2013

One can certainly do a good B&W correction with a custom tone curve instead of an ICC profile. There really is no difference between profiling with an ICC profile or your own tone curve in B&W. The ICC profile is more standardized and can be used the same way in B&W and color and is widely supported in photo editing s/w.  The problem with B&W ICC profiles is finding s/w that generates good ones specifically for B&W.  What I do is generate a set of B&W patches from (0,0,0) to (255,255,255) (256 patches), print the patches then scan them with an X-rite IO. I load the 256 L values into Matlab along with a random printer profile then replace the white black points and 3DLUTs with a smoothed, interpolated table and write out the new profile. It's not too hard to do in Matlab but does require a good working familiarity with both Matlab and ICC profile structure. I wish there were specific programs people could do this with but I haven't found any.

Most of my printing is repro printing, where a print needs to match other art so I use absolute colorimetry a lot.  A L*a*b tri-value needs to match it's printed value as close as I can get it. The interesting thing about B&W is that getting high quality profiles is a lot easier because one only has to look at one dimension, the tone curve. 256 patches gives the best possible estimate. A full color set of all possible patches would be over 16 million patches which isn't doable.

I'm interested in seeing what your testing shows.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow