Canon 7D Flash Choices YN560-II, YN565ex, PG-708, Opinions?

Started Jan 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Propictrix
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
Canon 7D Flash Choices YN560-II, YN565ex, PG-708, Opinions?
Jan 21, 2013

I was new to Canon several months ago when I purchased a 7D after being a Sigma shooter for many years and finally growing weary of the lack of low light performance. I got a 7D with several lenses and I am happy with those choices. Where I seem to have screwed up was on selection of flash.

I bought 3 YN560-II flash units, and couldn't at all complain about the price. They seem like good units, but for the fact I can only use them as slaves. I was used to doing that with my sigma, but could control the release using the master flash on camera...Right now I am using the flip up, which works, but I was hoping to choose the right unit the second time.

I believe the consensus is that I can use a YN565ex on the camera and access ETTL controls. Whether the flash transmits anything but a trigger is not so important, I want the automation and flexibility to direct the head on the camera. I could just get the YN565ex @ about $160 and keep the other flash heads as slaves... but I also saw the Pixco PG-708 which claims to be like the YN565ex...

I was thinking of trying the PG-708 to get on-camera control, but then also considered that I might swap out the YN560-IIs if the PG-708 actually works... The advantage, I assume, is in the ability to have wireless control.

THE QUESTION: Anyone have experience with the PG-708? Is it a waste? If it isn't a good idea to go for the PG-708, am I otherwise going to be good with the YN565ex and the other units as slaves? Should I opt out of the YN560-IIs, eat the mistake and go all YN565ex? Am I just a dunderhead (certainly I should have done better research from the outset, I know)?

THANKS!

Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow