DP2M vs 5DII comparison pic

Started Jan 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
Lin Evans
Forum ProPosts: 15,521Gear list
Like?
Re: What color is the sky in your world?
In reply to Richard Franiec, Jan 21, 2013

Hi Richard,

I too live at high altitude where we have intense blue skies and lots of snow. Actually, I only live about 50 miles north of Kendall.

He is indeed correct about the color of snow in the shadows and even in the sun under an intense blue sky. There are myriad "types" of snow. Some is powder, some crystal-like and other almost ice-crystals. When there is a heavy percentage of ice on the top layer, the sky is strongly reflected and the "correct" color is various shades of blue.

Yes, one can easily remove the blue tint, but then it wouldn't be true but "constructed." Sometimes that may be what is desired and I see no problem with changing the color of the snow if that suits the photographer and the audience. But on the other hand, there if one wants to be accurate, often the blue tint is absolutely correct.

As you can see in the Nikon photo below, the white in the "cat's fur" is absolutely white because there is no reflective substance to produce the blue from the sky. Also, on the snow in the "shadow" of the cat it is white because the blue reflection from the sky is obscured by the cat's body. But elsewhere, the very intense blue sky is reflected accurately by the snow. This is precisely how my eyes see it frequently in Colorado.

Best regards,

Lin

Richard Franiec wrote:

No need to be sarcastic, Kendall,

I'm sure that you know that setting exposure and WB correctly or adjusting it in PP could eliminate this phenomenon. No matter what camera took the picture, Sigma or Nikon.

BTW, you must have different vision from mine if you see the blue snow in the shadows. Maybe your sun works differently closer to heavens? I'm sure that you can see the yellow snow more often than I can see it here but that's another story.

Cheers

Richard

http://blog.burrard-lucas.com/2010/06/pet-photo-contest-results/

Nikon camera image

-- hide signature --

learntomakeslidshows.net

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow