NEC monitors

Started Jan 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Zee Char
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,253
Like?
Re: An update
In reply to ronzie, Jan 21, 2013

ronzie wrote:

If the monitor is in dim ambient light for editing you only need 110 to 130 nits. If you were constantly running at 300 it could be at end of usable life if you try to maintain that.

I never ran it that bright. I would have burned out my pupils I just can't get it that bright any longer. I can only get to 226 and NEC support told me that was acceptable.

Most of the Pro line NEC monitors are still CCFL, not LED, backlight including the sRGB gamut ones. I am looking at the P241W which is quite expensive without Spectraview on the NEC site at USD$749. There is a discrepancy on the NEC site that states the P241W is sRGB but the listing for the same model with Spectraview II is Adobe RGB at 96%. The description for both is color critical but I think you should get clarification.

I am looking at Provantage for example and they offer it at about USD$890 with Spectraview and 576 without.

Amazon has the models listed duplicated lowest price at $635 without SV and $1163 with SVII.

Be aware that these might have the old NEC customized I1D2 sensor instead of the newer I1 Display unit which may be on newer models. They still are CCFL backlights.

If you only need sRGB gamut just for web use than look at an LED sRGB rated model. My Viewsonic 2365 LED I purchased at $299 from Amazon. There is a bit of blue backlight leakage on the right side but well out of an editor's canvas area. It is 96% sRGB.

Now some printers on some colors can exceed the sRGB gamut limits and if you wish to print these than you will need an Adobe 1998 RGB wider gamut monitor.

Again, look in the printer forum for the topic of sRGB or Adobe RGB gamut and printing range. This has to do with soft proofing.

-- hide signature --

Ron Ginsberg
Minneapolis, MN
Land of 10,000 Puddles

I cancelled the order because my monitor looks very good right now. Excellent actually. Gonna set up a fund and replace it in the next year. NEC 50,000 hrs is about the life expectancy and I'm at 40, 457. So far I have nothing but good things to say about Spectraview, NEC support and B&H. No hassle cancellations or returns at B&H.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow