Palouse Falls...

Started Jan 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
Pradipta Dutta
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,765Gear list
Like?
A lot of things you can improve on
In reply to Ron E Trees, Jan 21, 2013

Ron E Trees wrote:

So what is it that you don't like about it Pradipta?

I will put it differently - what are the possible ways this can be improved -

• Composition - having a little more at the top will give more sense of the surrounding. Here the waterfall seems to have filled the frame. Use of some diagonal lines and curves will not hurt.
  • Shutter speed - you can infuse a sense of motion by using a significantly slower shutter speed than the one used (1/50 sec). This will not only make the water silky but it also gives the sense of motion. I would shoot this same picture at nothing faster than 1/10 sec.
  • Post processing - there is enough room to pull up contrast. Possibly, even try black & white white conversion since there is not much in the picture anyways.
But it all comes down to what you like. But the fact is, unless you try different things, you wouldn't even know what you like more.

One additional comment is that you really need to try to learn to use the histogram. What you will realize if you look at the histogram is that you are not using a lot of the dynamic range available to you. Try to expose to the right as opposed to completely relying on the camera's built-in meter. Then, with a little bit of post processing, your images will immediately start to pop.

-- hide signature --

My Online Gallery - http://www.pbase.com/pradipta

Pradipta Dutta's gear list:Pradipta Dutta's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow