GH-3 Viewfinder "issue" - product of clueless

Started Jan 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
Dr_Jon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,453Gear list
Like?
Re: GH-3 Viewfinder "issue" - product of clueless
In reply to Triggr Happy, Jan 21, 2013

I finally had a play with a GH3 in a shop and my (personal) conclusions on the EVF were:

(1) The colours were a fair way off, will need correcting which can (I understand) be done in the menus, so not really an issue. (The OM-D I looked at was much better out-of-the-box.)

(2) While the corners weren't quite as good as the centre they were okay.

(3) It was fine when I moved it around. Unlike a Fuji XE-1 for example.

(4) The resolution is really about 50% less than I'd like. I was focusing on a sign listing the Panasonic m43 lenses, and the smaller (though not small) print was unreadable after focus confirmation. This was odd as I thought it'd be big enough to see given its height in the viewfinder (it was more blurry than pixillated, but the bigger text was okay so not a diopter issue). That's the kind of thing that might worry me in case something went wrong and you didn't realise for a while. OVFs still have their moments over teeny TVs for a while yet. I'd put it third after the OM-D and XE1 for apparent resolution, but I tried them 1-2 days apart so E&OE. (Maybe the 4 dot per pixel pattern isn't helping?)

(5) The 4:3 aspect ratio seemed to fill the viewfinder area less well than my old m43 EVF. Presumably so 3:2 and 16:9 look less crunched? Is it multi-aspect (i.e. the 16:9 view is wider)?

BTW (going off-topic in case of interest) I tried the 12-35 and 14-140 lenses on it, I have the latter but not the former. The weight really does begin to add up with the 14-140 and I suspect if I get one, which I'm slightly leaning against now (I was more pro before the hands-on) I'd need to get the 12-35 to keep the weight down. (On holiday when photography isn't the main object I'm okay with up to about 1Kg of camera kit to carry around all day, but above that I'm taking photographs rather than exploring as the main object, YMMV of course.)

P.S. Don't get me wrong, I do plan to upgrade my m43 body, it's just I might wait a month or two to see if anything interesting pops up. The GH3 still leads the list, although a slightly lower price point would add to my enthusiasm as the EVF didn't scream "as good as we can make it".

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow