Started Jan 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Forum ProPosts: 10,569Gear list
Like?
Re: Question about Nikon warranty transfer between owners
In reply to losangeles, Jan 21, 2013

losangeles wrote:

Thank you. This still leaves the question how it is determined who is the first owner of the camera.

It's you-  unambiguously. You've owned the camera since the moment your payment went through. Maybe you'll be the owner of a camera and lens which you've never used, and this only for a few hours . You're still the owner.

Consider the following point just to illustrate the point. Say during these few hours your camera and lens get stolen. Who files the police report and makes a claim on stolenproperty ? You and not the person you intend to sell to. You are by legal definition the owner and that fact is undisputable.

It wouldn't make sense that this is the person purchasing it. Say I bought it as a gift for someone. The warranty should be in that person's name. So why can't it be in the name of the person buying it from me?

Good point. Nikon would most likely accomodate the fact that a camera was intended as a gift and accept the transfer of warranty. But here is the catch: you will get money in exchange of the kit you're selling. The person who gives a camera as a gift won't. So there is no question that in your situation it's not a gift and I'm sure that you agree on that definition. And it is an unambiguous definition.

How can Nikon tell that the camera was given as a gift and not sold right away by the first owner ? It can't. But that does not mean that the transfer of warranty applies in the latter situation. It just means that Nikon has to trust their customers to be honest, as I'm sure you are or you would not inquire about conditions which may mitigate the clauses about transfer of warranty.

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow