Is the old version of photoshop (CS2) worthy of learning on?

Started Jan 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
lkk324
Regular MemberPosts: 364Gear list
Like?
Re: lkk,
In reply to René Schuster, Jan 21, 2013

René Schuster wrote:

lkk324 wrote:

oK So others have told me that Elements is tricky and confusing for a beginner. I know things take time but is it too much for a true true beginner? I downloaded the cs2 so Im wondering if the PSE was included or not or if you had to download it separately. So in other words I could uninstall cs2 and just install pse4 and it might be easier for me to get a handle on??

no, in Photoshop CS2 this PS Elements is not included, so you will have to download and install it separately.

Easier for a beginner, hmm, not sure, I think the basic steps are more or less about the same in CS2 as well as Elements; PSE is just not as powerful as CS2. But I can't imagine you will miss anything important in PSE, at least as long as you call yourself a beginner.

But I never did anything with Elements. I had the old PS7 installed here and downloaded this CS2 now, but I must say I do most of my editing in an older version of Photo Impact (XL or 10, I think), looks easier to me, about the same results with less clicks. Adobe's Photoshop is probably the standard and what most professionals use, but for the little what I want to do I actually don't really need it. It is just that some filters don't work in my PhotoImpact but in PS, also some auto-functions give slightly better results in PS, but for me that's about it. No matter if PhotoImpact or Photoshop, I guess all I use is maybe 20% of what these programs can do.

If it is only about the very basics, like rotate (to correct a tilted horizon), resize the image, crop, doing basic adjustments like color, sharpening, red-eye-removal, etc, even a good image viewer like the free FastStone Image viewer will be enough. But if you really want to get deeper into editing, it might make sense to concentrate on a real editing program. But I could imagine in the beginning all programs will look a bit tricky and confusing; the trial-and-error way wiithout a good book or manual is not the way to go.

René

Thanks Rene.....I really truly am a total beginner other then the normal stuff you can do with most camera software like kodak. I am interested in learning more in time but want the program I am using to be easy enough to do the basics and then have the room to play and grow. I DID dowload the PSE 5 (the free one) and it is easier in the fact that it has the tools to auto fix some stuff which I like right now. I am still just playing.

I doubt I will ever need the full version of PS but who knows right! I am finding the studying into all of this is quite time consuming!!!!

lkk324's gear list:lkk324's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
lkk,New
ACRNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow