Manual focus. why the obsession?

Started Jan 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
Ryan Williams
Contributing MemberPosts: 592
Like?
Re: Poor AF performance
In reply to liquid stereo, Jan 21, 2013

I don't use manual focus very often, but the option should always be there — and implemented well when it is. It's like any tool in a kit: it might not be needed all the time, but there're situations where literally nothing else will do.

Good example: last week I wanted to get a relatively close-up shot of some falling snowflakes in mid air at a high aperture. I don't think I need to tell you how hard it would be to focus on a snowflake using AF while throwing the background OOF, particularly one that's close to me in mid-fall.

With manual focus it's actually quite a simple task. Get yourself and the camera into nice, stable position; select a manual focus point that's a metre or few away; and wait for the right snowflake to fall into frame. Because the photo is taken the moment you hit the shutter it means you can react much more quickly.

I didn't quite get the photo I was looking for as the snow wasn't heavy enough, but rest assured I'll get this shot or I'll die trying!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow