Dump the Monarchy

Started Jan 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
Marcamera
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,585
Like?
Re: Dump the Monarchy
In reply to KEVZPHOTOS, Jan 21, 2013

KEVZPHOTOS wrote:

The Royals are all part of that BRAND Package Mix...that gives Britain it's unique cultural ambiance appeal, and all the rest of it.

KEV

"No problem can be solved at the level of consciousness which created it" - Albert Einstein

Bollocks.

None of my friends who visited London, spent time there , or even lived there, have ever mentioned Royals as one of London's attractions.

YOU completely ignored what I said.

The Royals ARE part of the BRAND that represents English heritage and tradition, etc.

IF you remove them...then you also have to remove Henry VIII, and all the rest of the traditional cultural package.

Right, ask visitors to the UK about Henry VIII, I wonder how many have even remote clue who he was, except for saying : a King.

Just as the Parthenon or Delphi, etc.,represents part of the BRAND packaging of Greece.

This comparison is not even lose. People come and go, Parthenon stands as part of Greece's history, Royals are hidden behind gates and come out for ceremonies.

I couldn't give a flying Polish cabbage roll, whether or not, your friends are interested directly in the Royal family...

that isn't going to change the fact that they are part of the furniture in British society....whether YOU or anyone else likes it, or not.

Same way National Enquirer is a part of US press. For all the wrong reasons, other than money .

If you're proud of them on that basis, I'm ok with that.

I'm not particularly a Monarchy fan myself...

It does not show.

Still, I am waiting for you to substantiate the claim of Queen's hard work, 15 hrs /day, budgets, salaries, etc. Or, did you pull your statement from the air?

In addition, I absolutely fully agree with Lanef that the fact that their position is hereditary, makes them nothing but pests. They have no achievements other than keeping tight lip and straight face.

Do you think a goof like Prince Charles could hold a job? Any job? Queen Mother could probably do well in some accounting function, boring but meticulous, but that would be a real job.

Brand them as you like, that part I may agree with. But please do not attribute achievements, hard work , etc to them. There is nothing of the sort that takes place there.

Where is her daily schedule again?

Pls answer , your statement, you substantiate it.

Rgds

.however, I do understand the role that they play...and the place they hold within the overall identity of British culture, etc.

Will nations continue to have monarchies forever - probably not, however...there's really no point in denying the importance that they have already contributed to many societies within Europe and around the world.

KEV

-- hide signature --

"No problem can be solved at the level of consciousness which created it" - Albert Einstein

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow