Re: National Railway Museum - A77 high ISO images
In reply to rio911, Jan 21, 2013

rio911 wrote:

Dave Oddie wrote:

rio911 wrote:

jayceeart wrote:

What ISO did you use??

Hi jayceeart,

All of the posted shots are ISO1600, the EXIF's are intact.

To be honest the camera did very well, you just can't judge how dark it was from what you see in those images.

rio

Did you shoot jepg or raw?

If jpeg museums are a great place to use multi-frame noise reduction due to the static subjects.

Hi Dave,

I did try MFNR on a few occasions, even some of the shots that I have posted might be MFNR. But and it is a big but, while MFNR does perform very well coping with noise, it does increase the chances of shake/blur especially in occasions where the shutter speed drops below 1/30. Simply put, I have found out that I have better odds at taking a sharp picture with a single shot, although it might be noisy...

It should not do that. The Algorithm doesn't just try and reduce noise by averaging that out but it also analyses the shots looking for the sharpest parts of each. So if a frame was suffering from camera shake it shouldn't get used in the final composite. This is explained on page 141 of Gary Friedman's A77 book if you have it.

In any case if your MFNR frames suffer from camera shake shutter speeds below 1/30 aren't any shots taken without it going to have camera shake also?

I used it in the Imperial War Museum of the North hand held and didn't notice this problem at speeds of 1/8th and 1/10th of a second (@iso 1600). This one was certainly a MFNR shot as you can see on the left the ghost of a person who moved between frames yet the gun is sharp.

As it gives 2 to 3 stops noise improvement you could also elect to shoot at one stop higher ISO to get a faster shutter speed and still gain on the noise front to reduce the chance of shake even further.

There is no perfect solution, but this will do for now!

rio

PS: I forgot to mention, also if you use MFNR you can't use RAW. Anyway most shots were in JPEG, and I have done some minimal PP on them.

Yes I know.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow