Started Jan 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Timj351
Senior MemberPosts: 2,044
Like?
More hockey from FZ200
Jan 21, 2013

I had a chance tonight to shoot a bunch of shots at a hockey game with our Seattle Thunderbirds vs the Lethbridge Hurricanes from Canada. We won, woo hoo!

I initially intended to shoot in Manual mode but decided to shoot in Aperture Priority. I set the camera to 2.8 and only adjusted the ISO, letting the shutter speed be variable. I settled on ISO 1250 so I could get shutter speeds between 1/250 and 1/500 which seemed to be a good compromise. I shot in Raw in the 5.5fps AF mode with AF set to AFF (Auto Focus Flexible), and then post processed in Adobe Camera Raw. I also used +1 exposure compensation.  I don't know if this was the best way to take these pictures but I was very happy with the results. It was a lot of fun and the camera performed very well. In fact there were really only two things I didn't like. One was having to shoot through the marked-up safety glass and the other thing was using the electronic zoom. An electronic zoom is perfectly fine for most things but for zooming in and out quickly it is not nearly as good as a manual zoom would be. I feel it is maybe more of a compromise in getting action shots than the small sensor is. At least with a small sensor I can still get the shot but with an electronic zoom I often missed an important shot. Fortunately this kind of shooting isn't my main thing so I am willing to live with this drawback because in nearly every other aspect this camera is fantastic.

Here are some shots from the game. All have been processed in ACR with most having been straightened and cropped a little. I also have included one full size crop of one of the images so you can see the detail along with the amount of noise I thought was acceptable. All critiques welcome.

Tim

This is the full sized crop. Not bad for ISO 1250

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow