Got the "OK" from the boss for new iMac... but she wants 27"

Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
Pasmia
Contributing MemberPosts: 519Gear list
Like?
Re: Got the "OK" from the boss for new iMac... but she wants 27"
In reply to Pasmia, Jan 21, 2013

Just an update.  I finally made my decision and bought the base mid-level iMac 27 (3.2GHz i5, 1TB 7200RPM HDD, 675MX 1GB vid card).

Reasons for my decision:

My max was $2,000... Absolute max. By getting a $1900 setup, I was also able to purchase some RAM from crucial (just doing 24GB).

By going with slightly upper end model, I gain some processor speed as well as an upgraded video card at the expense of the fusion drive with the lower end 27 imac.  I figured, my previous iMac has probably been rebooted only about a dozen times or so in the past 6 years.  I also leave LR and PS open practically all the time as well.  I won't be benefiting as much from Fusion as I will with the better processor and video card.

And lastly, my number one reason for choosing this model was because I finally found a local store with it in stock (Bridgeport Village Apple Store in Oregon, if you're interested, they still had a couple left).  Everyone else had about 2-3 weeks of wait/reserve time.

I gotta say, maybe it's because my old computer was just that bad, but I'm really blown away by the smooth transition between editing an image in LR and then PS and back again as well as with Nik plugins.  I'm very happy with my purchase!

Now, back to saving up for more camera gear!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow