Important underground pics for PhD research. Stitch photos for wide angles or use a wide angle lens?

Started Jan 21, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rob4
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?
Important underground pics for PhD research. Stitch photos for wide angles or use a wide angle lens?
Jan 21, 2013

Gear

• Nikon D5100.

• Lens. Kit 18-55vr / 35mm 1.8 prime

• SB 400 Flash

• Silk 7000 tripod

Experience.

Amateur. However, I do shoot in M/A/P modes most of the time. It is easier for me to shoot in low light in these modes. People like my pictures a lot, since its not particularly common to see a composed shot in academic presentations from my field. I'm sure I would get a different reaction in a symposium of professional photographers.

Problem

• Need to shoot interior spaces. No people. Long shutter speeds OK.

• Uncertain about the interior spaces. Place has been sealed to the public for 100 years.

• Low light area. Underground. Lights will be brought. Additional types unknown.

• Not quite 3rd world, but close.

• I can get gear brought here, though. I will have a visitor coming from the US in a month.

• Will use the photos in publications and presentations.

I was thinking it would be OK for me to put on the kit lens and shoot at, say 35mm, where the distortion is minimal and stitch some photos together. I could scratch together the funds for another lens (wide angle like the Nikon 10-24mm or the Tokina 11-16mm /2.8 DX II) if it was absolutely necessary. I was looking to use some of the extra money on my grant to pay for other things, but if it means the difference between bad and good pictures, I'm willing to adjust.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow