Regular MemberPosts: 139
Like?
Re: Quick question.
In reply to Great Bustard, Jan 21, 2013

Great Bustard wrote:

robert1955 wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

Joseph S Wisniewski wrote:

Most of the strengths of the Foveon sensor (and, for that matter, virtually all stacked photodiode designs) relate to video and liveview use. The stacked photodiode sensor compromises still photographic capability to get better video. The Foveon Hasselblad pushed that to the limit. It's unfortunate that Blad's financial woes prevented more people from getting to use it. The fact that Sigma never properly exploited that video ability is a true tragedy.

What about monochrome photography? Would a Foveon sensor have an advantage there? Would that advantage, if any, depend on the light levels?

Wouldn't an 'ordinary' sensor, juat one size of pixels, no color filter, be even better?

Absolutely. However, since such a sensor would limit you to monochrome only (how cool would it be if the CFA were removable?), I was asking just in terms of current DSLR / mirrorless sensors.

The Foveon sensor has pretty nice quantum efficiency (well over 50% if I recall right) so that would help. One of the two main sources of noise for the Foveon are in getting the color information from the data, so that would no longer be an issue. The other is the read noise - the original Foveon had well over 100 electron read noise per pixel, while the current is vastly improved and has approximately 25 lectron noise per pixel. (Note: those numbers are per pixel, not per photodiode.) It is still very high and would be an issue in low light. Of potential pattern noise I have no information, but if there is none, the noise characteristic should be very good looking due to lacking demosaicing artifacts. I think there is some irony in Foveon being arguably better for black&white than for color photography.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow