Merrill sensored cameras ARE 30MP luminance equivalents to 30MP cameras!

Started Jan 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kendall Helmstetter Gelner
Forum ProPosts: 17,317Gear list
Like?
No challenge at all
In reply to DMillier, Jan 21, 2013

DMillier wrote:

Kendall

Here's a challenge for you.

Print some 36 x 24 inch prints from the RX100 and compare them to a Merrill.

Then come back to the discussion.

It's rather funny you would talk to me about printing. I've printed scores of Merrill images at 30x48 now, some as part of the previous large print tour and a number of more recent ones. That includes some that didn't hold up at that size (you have to see what doesn't work as well as what does to really understand things)..

After doing so, I have a really good feeling for what a final print would look like given a certain level of input quality, and no RX100 sample image I have seen would even come close in quality of printed output. 36x24 is smaller but the Rx100 images would be noticeably worse in just about any regard (including color from what I can tell). As I said if I couldn't take an image with a DP-M camera I may as well just use an iPhone over the RX100, at 36x24 the RX100 would have something of an edge over an iPhone (the 5 or 4s, the older ones had cameras that were not nearly as good) but it would lack the flexibility I get using an iPhone as a camera.

How many Merrill images have you printed at 30x48 again? Or indeed at all?

Some RX100 samples here for example:

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/compact-cameras/sony-rx100-1083683/review/6

Even the Zeiss lenses used in some shots simply don't deliver nearly the level of detail you get from a DP-1M, never mind the 2M...

Like this one (sorry but that level of detail would collapse in a 36x24 for close viewing):

Zeiss on the RX100

If you've got sharper RX100 sample images, by all means direct me to them. But the numbers lead to the same inexorable conclusion that these images demonstrate re: printing, and I simply have more experience than you at this point on this matter.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow