So much great new research data is available lately! Reikan Focal Online Stats.

Started Jan 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 3,628Gear list
Like?
So much great new research data is available lately! Reikan Focal Online Stats.
Jan 21, 2013

Between Roger's LensRental blog findings on AF, and now a really great gem of a find! Reikan Focal MFA statistics!

http://www.reikan.co.uk/focalweb/index.php/online-tools/lenscamera-information/

My thoughts...the 50mm 1.8 is a lens lottery lens like I thought it was. Rather soft wide open, copies vary a lot...AF is pretty much crap at wide-open IMO (ok the graphs don't literally translate to that but there are a lot of people fiddling with MFA for this lens).

Likewise the Canon 85mm 1.8 does absolutely stellar (as does the 1.2)...and for all the hoopla of the Nikon 85mm 1.8G being more 'modern'...just take a look at the results, still a lot more lens lottery being played more on the Nikon side than Canon IMO...besides our Nifty Fifty which is the black sheep of the Canon family in lens lottery, I think Canon lenses do fairly well. Most of the lens I own score high...including the 40mm f2.8, another highly consistent, accurate, and not needing MFA lens...and according to charts is *bloody* sharp wide open.

It also seems to indicate to me that there is not a *huge* difference in AF accuracy for the lenses I use between the 5DMKII and 5DMKIII if we are just talking center point focus and recompose...AF accuracy seems to be stellar as long as that given lens is stellar. We do know that the 5DMKIII + certain new lenses get more AF magic sauce, but actually for the 40mm f2.8 which supposedly has it, the statistics don't show a big difference there IMO (although I guess the 5DMKIII does seem to have the better wide-open consistency on the 40mm f2.8).

There is a link on the site that tells you how to interpret their findings. IMO with Canon's push towards Robotics, Canon's QA/QC consistency with lens is only going to improve...yes the 50mm 1.8 is an absolute stinker in this regard, but most everything else does very well and especially the new stuff (although the 85mm 1.8 is 20 years old and does just as well in consistency as the very new 40mm f2.8 pancake).

Preliminary results seem to show that Nikon not only is clearly winning in dynamic range, but in the area of dynamic focus and sharpness variation as well.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Sony a6000 Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +2 more
Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow