Do you think the image of SD14(SD15/DP1/2) is cleaner than that of SD1m(DP1m/2m) ?

Started Jan 12, 2013 | Questions thread
Kendall Helmstetter Gelner
Forum ProPosts: 17,307Gear list
Like?
Re: SD-1 is cleaner, but you need to expose differently
In reply to Roland Karlsson, Jan 21, 2013

Roland Karlsson wrote:

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner wrote:

I was busy in Death Valley and missed your post originally.

In the older Foveon cameras, we tended to be able to bring up shadows a little more.

I thought the old cameras had problems with the shadows, requiring exact or even some over exposure.

Not that I found, beyond that old adage of "expose to the right" always being a good idea for any digital camera.  With the Merrill sensor, you want to go a bit more if you want the most DR from an image.

Where the Merrill sensors differ is that they have more DR than the older sensors (substantially more)

Can you point to any measurements showing this?

Forum search.  You even posted in the thread. It was some photography website somewhere, months back.

Or just look at the DPreview info.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sigmadp1/11

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sigmasd1/12

Even with the SD-1 testing at ISO 100 it still showed more DR than the DP-1, although it's hard to compare those two pages exactly...

Of course there is also the fact that everyone who has shot both cameras for a while says the same thing.

but to get at it you need to over-expose a bit. In that sort of white snow shot for example, you'd probably expose the SD-1 at +1.7. Possibly even higher.

The the shadows would look fine.

Snow should always be over exposed, one or even two stops.

Of course, I mean about +0.7 more than whatever exposure compensation you would apply normally for the scene.  That's why I was saying +1.7 for that scene would yield better results.

But, you claim that normal shots also shall be over exposed some? In that case it hints at Sigma being somewhat too optimistic regarding to ISO number.

It's not required if you have limited range in an image.  It's just a good general setting since most images shot during the day have full sun mixed with deep shadow, to get the most possible DR.  The metering is probably trying to be conservative (as it is in most cameras) to make sure JPG highlights do not clip.  In the end even with +0.7 you are getting better shutter speeds than with the older cameras since you use that in conjunction with ISO 200.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow