VT
Regular MemberPosts: 465
Like?
Canon PowerShot G15 - User's Perspective
Jan 21, 2013

After using a cheapo Canon A1200 p&s for well over a year -

Please see: Canon PowerShot A1200 User Review

I bought a Canon G15 -

I used the A1200 because it was about the only game in town at the time with a real optical viewfinder - to quote myself from that other thread:

" A real optical viewfinder allows me to shoot with camera to face giving 3 points of support allowing slower than normal shutter speeds. It also allows me to see better for momentary changes of expression or pose etc. - LCD screen cannot keep up. "

The <$80 A1200 p&s managed shots like:

Image from the cheapo A1200 auto-everything p&s - slow-sync flash

However I missed the versatility and flexibility of a compact more like the G10 I had - the G1 X was new at the time I got the A1200 - although the G1 X IQ was spectacular - it was too big and at the time too expensive. I was really looking for a more compact replacement for my broken G10 but it had to have an optical viewfinder - it seemed that the G12 was about to be replaced soon.

I did have to wait but eventually the G15 was introduced - and seemed like what I had been wanting - waited for the reviews and test images, and then for the price to settle down - just after the new year I purchased the G15 for $400.

Took it out the very first night I got it:

I use a lot of slow-sync flash that freezes an image and still keeps the shutter open to capture the ambiance

slow-sync flash

slow-sync flash

slow-sync flash

No flash

another gig 4 nights later @ same venue - different/brighter lighting:

different venue -

Canon PowerShot A1200 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G15
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow