DP2M vs 5DII comparison pic

Started Jan 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kendall Helmstetter Gelner
Forum ProPosts: 18,531Gear list
Like?
Right problem, Wrong camera
In reply to RonJG, Jan 21, 2013

RonJG wrote:

Sigma image is extraordinarily sharp. The Canon image seems out of focus or a poor lens was used.

If a Sigma prime lens or camera had been used to produce that result, there are a number of people on this forum who would be howling that Sigma AF doesn't work or that they can't produce quality lenses.

That's a 40MM Canon prime lens, on a 5D MK II... just what part of that system would you say was so unreliable that it couldn't manage to properly render a simple shot with a ton of strongly contrasting elements to draw focus from?

The Sigma image has a heap of green/purple discolouration evident. Most of the shadow detail shows it.

It's very hard to discern, in fact is most areas I don't see that (remember, other people can also look at the original image and decide what they think here).  You know what's not quite as hard to discern?  The shadow discoloration/blotches in the Canon image:

Brightened and saturation boosted slightly - 200% crop

It's normally hard to really see issues in shadows, you have to brighten and increase stauration which is unrealistic as to issues people would actually notice in real life (most people would not notice the Sigma nor the Canon shadow noise that is present in these images).

Quite a lot more important is to not produce color issues with highlights - they are much more striking in print and even web-sized images. Color issues the Sigma image lacks but the Canon image has plenty of.  Like for instance Bayer's best pal, color moire:

200% crop, slight editing

And green discoloration (might be CA and not color moire) on a simple white tabletop in the sun:

400% crop, no editing.

I'm not saying one camera is better than the other based on these images, as they are fairly different tools.  But I am saying you are giving the Canon a free pass for the exact same issues you claim to see in the Foveon image, and ignoring other stronger issues the Foveon image does not have.

You may say what you like following; I've made my point and see no need to supplement further when people can so easily simply view the originals of both to decide any further claims, now that they know you are not presenting data on an equal footing.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow