Useful 1DX feature for nature / sports shooters...

Started Jan 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Decoboy
Regular MemberPosts: 172Gear list
Like?
Re: Only using AI Servo, plus an idea from the AE1
In reply to Scott Larson, Jan 21, 2013

Hi Scott,

How well do you find AI Servo works with focus and re-compose?

For single shots I've found One Shot faster and besides I can focus on something initially outside the grid if needed - not possible for AI Servo because it can't track off the grid.

Also - does anyone remember the Canon AE1 with a motor drive?

It had a handy extra button (under the fingers) which would switch to HS drive in any mode ( ~ 5 frames/sec), found it very useful for motor sports to avoid chewing up film -

The 1Dx can have the AF-On or * set to switch to the 14f/sec but only if you are already in HS,

Frankly I find this a little useless - you're stuck with viewfinder blackout, no AF or AE and jpeg only when you could already bang away at up to 12 fs with full AF/AE.

What would be MUCH better would be able to just switch to HS with your current settings - and be able to use the MFn-2 or DOF preview buttons under your fingers (the AF-On and * default uses are more important IMO)

I realise that as the OP said this can be achieved  using C1/C2, however this uses up 2 of 3 custom modes, just to switch drive mode using one specific set of camera settings.

What do you think ?

-- hide signature --

Brian

Decoboy's gear list:Decoboy's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS-1D X Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow