Sony Playmemories Software: what is it good for?

Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
focuspulling
Regular MemberPosts: 266Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony Playmemories Software: what is it good for?
In reply to raminolta, Jan 21, 2013

raminolta wrote:

H. Paul Moon wrote:

raminolta wrote:

H. Paul Moon wrote:

PlayMemories is great software after the major update. It renames video files properly, automatically and on the fly during import, avoiding conflicts.

Wow, that's a great feature. Do we need a 420MB sotftware for it?

Sorry for being sarcastic but, honestly I think there is serious problem here. If video files are named the same inside the camera (unlike progressive naming of the files like the way the pictures are named) so that, they have to be renamed by a software on the computer to avoid name conflicts, that is obviously a flaw in the camera internal software. You cannot mention it as the greatness of a hallow software unless you just want to think this way no matter what.

I'm not skimpy with non-mobility hard disk space that is extremely dirt cheap and plentiful nowadays. Life is too short for nitpicking on principles. And when you've got tens of thousands of files, yes, the internal file numbering scheme of the NEX cameras is utterly inadequate. PlayMemories is a fantastic application, with decent online connectivity and stellar PS3 integration.

I beg to disagree. I find Playmemories is essentially a useless software that I have to install because for some reason not quite known to me, Sony wants to push it on all users. Most likely because Sony wants to follow Apple (the way they tried pushing iTunes). I don't have PS3 not I want one and I don't need a software to rename files for me on the fly. I repeat if it was difficult to understand for some: in my opinion, it's a flaw in the camera firmware if it names all video files the same.

The camera firmware does not name all video files the same.

focuspulling's gear list:focuspulling's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow