Is it possible to sharpen just certain areas of an image?

Started Jan 20, 2013 | Questions thread
goanna
Contributing MemberPosts: 611Gear list
Like?
Re: Is it possible to sharpen just certain areas of an image?
In reply to Sunshine_boy, Jan 21, 2013

Sunshine_boy wrote:

blogan wrote:

I just read a post where the poster suggested to the OP to stop sharpening the sky. Is this possible to not sharpen the sky and sharpen other areas of the image? Or was he just taking about images with a lot of sky in them.

I'm using aperture by the way.

To be able to sharpen certain areas only, you need to have layers and layer masks.

You do not have to have layers.

In LR in the Developmment module under sharpening, hold "ALT" key while adjusting the mask slider and presto. Sky instantly eliminated from sharpening much more quickly than layers in PS/PSP5X or adjustment brush in LR/ACR.

I don't know if Aperture does. PS does and it's quite easy. Copy the original layer to a new layer, sharpen the new layer and then use a totally black mask over it. Paint with white on the mask, with a variety of opacities to get the required degree of sharpening over different areas from no sharpening (black on mask) to full sharpening (100% white opacity on the mask).

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Sunshine
Visit my website for lots of pics and fun...
www.sunshine-web.com
ps If you see someone without a smile on, give him one of yours...

goanna's gear list:goanna's gear list
Sigma DP2 Quattro Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow