LR4 Moving a Cat and Photos from a PC to use as an Archive from External Drive on Mack

Started Jan 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,108Gear list
Like?
Re: LR4 Moving a Cat and Photos from a PC to use as an Archive from External Drive on Mack
In reply to CarlC, Jan 21, 2013

Do NOT move your image files with the OS software.  If you use the OS software to move the folders then Lightroom won't know where the new location of your folders and images is.  You should move the folders within Lightroom so that Lightroom will keep track of where they are.

Watch this video tutorial on how to move folders within Lightroom.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-lightroom-4/import-moving-folders-around-after-the-fact/

Once you get your folders of images moved onto the external hard drive then use the OS software to move the Lightroom catalog onto the same hard drive.  Now the next time you start up Lightroom you will have to tell Lightroom where the catalog is but that is all that is necessary.  From then on Lightroom will know where the catalog is located and start up without a hitch.

I suggest you set Lightroom to make a catalog backup on a different hard drive than the one where the Master Catalog is stored.  I do this every time I import new images or do any post processing.  The older backups are not automatically deleted so I finish by going in and deleting all but the latest two backups.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow