NEC monitors

Started Jan 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
ronzie
Senior MemberPosts: 1,283
Like?
Re: An update
In reply to Zee Char, Jan 21, 2013

Are you aware that it takes a long time for the CCFL backlights to stabilize? If you allow your monitor to sleep it will drift over at least a thirty minute period after the video port is activated. Allowing the sleep mode to shut down the backlight is a no go.

If you calibrate before the backlight has stabilized then your calibration curve is off.

I have regular soft white florescent lighting in a cool laundry room. If I go back later leaving them on I notice the brightness increase and it seems the light is cooler in temperature.

In several CFL fixtures they start off as a "pink" dim light and get brighter drifting to cooler color.

On my NEC monitor (the desktop is spread across two monitors) when I power it up and enable the dual view video card function, I can see the desktop background (tiled red bricks) get brighter as I frequently look over two it. I allow at least thirty minutes before using it and to be sure one hour before calibrating it.

The backlight is off in NEC monitors until the video card port is activated (on mine the indicator goes from yellow-standby to blue-getting video.

Disable the sleep settings in your pc operating system and just keep the NEC powered down until the stabilization period needed before you start using it. (I am not talking about the NEC master power "vacation" switch.) My monitors and pcs are on a standby (UPS) conditioning power unit and I turn off that master when not using anything.

FWIW I also have the Econo-mode set on the NEC at 75% limit for the backlight range although at 110 nits I am only running about 36% of the rated brightness of 300 nits.

Unlike CRT units the brightness control only affects the backlight. The rest affect the LCD panel pixel transparency.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD might herlp you to understand how these LCD panels word. Note the section on panel types. My NEC P221W is an S-PVA and Spectraview measures it at 98% Adobe 1998 RGB. This NEC is wide gamut. My day to day monitor is an sRGB S_IPS from Viewsonic and measures at 96% sRGB coverage (VP2365-LED) as profiled\measured by a Color Munki Photo. The LED backlight quickly stabilizes.

There do not appear to be many wide gamut monitors using LED backlighting so if you want Adobe 1998 RGB you may have to stick with CCFL backlighting.

-- hide signature --

Ron Ginsberg
Minneapolis, MN
Land of 10,000 Puddles

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow